Cockatoo Island wasn’t always an idyllic getaway. This lively, all-ages tour will introduce you to a line-up of brave, foolhardy and desperate convicts who dared to escape notorious Cockatoo island’s penal establishment (1839-69), including fabled bushranger Captain Thunderbolt. As you explore the island, you’ll hear about successful and ill-fated escape attempts involving disguises, sewers, shark-infested waters, stolen boats and a volley of bullets.
Cost: $25 adults & $15 child
Hours & times: Tours run on Saturday, weekly during the School Holidays and fortnightly there after at 11:30am & 1:00pm
Meeting point: The tour starting location is outside the Visitors Centre
Planning your trip: Access to Cockatoo Island is by ferry. Please visit transportnsw.info for ferry timetables.
Please note, all tour participants will be required to check-in with the guide on arrival to comply with COVID-19 contact tracing requirements. Members of each group must ensure they:
- maintain a physical distance of 1.5 metres from others;
- have not travelled overseas within the last 14 days;
- have not had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case within the last 14 days; and
- are not unwell and have not had any COVID-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Terms & Conditions:
- The tour is 60 minutes in duration and involves a steep incline, some uneven surfaces and is not suitable for mobility scooters.
- A moderate level of fitness and mobility are required on this tour.
- Please wear suitable and sensible walking shoes. The Harbour Trust advises that high heels, thongs and loose sandals are not recommended to wear during tours
- Tours will proceed regardless of weather conditions except in cases of extreme weather. Please being wet weather gear if required.
- Participants will be notified via SMS if the tour is cancelled and a full refund of the ticket price (less booking fees) will be made.
- Tours are family friendly, however children must be accompanied by an adult.
- You must comply with all directions of the Guides, Rangers and Security.
- For safety reasons, maximum tour numbers cannot be exceeded.
- Dogs, bicycles and smoking are not allowed on the tour.
- Tickets are non-refundable, transfers can be made up to seven (7) days prior to the tour date.
- The Harbour Trust reserves the right to terminate any tour at any time.