Secrets. Scandals. Skeletons... Cockatoo Island has its fair share of all three. Discover for yourself with our intrigue-filled Dark Past Tour. As you explore visit iconic landmarks and buildings from different eras, including the convict workshops, Dog Leg Tunnel and Biloela House, our guide will blend history with mystery to captivate your imagination!
Cost: $25 per adult and $15 per child
Hours & Times: Runs on Saturday evening from 6:30pm - 8:00pm.
Meeting point: Meet outside the Cockatoo Island Visitors Centre.
Planning your trip: Access to Cockatoo Island is by ferry. Please visit transportnsw.info for ferry timetables.
Please note, all tour participants will be required to check-in with the guide on arrival to comply with COVID-19 contact tracing requirements. Members of each group must ensure they:
- maintain a physical distance of 1.5 metres from others;
- have not travelled overseas within the last 14 days;
- have not had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case within the last 14 days; and
- are not unwell and have not had any COVID-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Terms & Conditions:
- The tour is designed to be family-friendly but children must be accompanied by an adult. Further, the tour’s duration (and possibly some of the content) may not be suitable for very young children.
- The tour is 1 hour 30 minutes and involves a steep incline, some uneven surfaces and is not suitable for mobility scooters.
- We recommend that guests bring a torch as the tour is conducted in the dark, and sections of the walkways on Cockatoo Island can be uneven.
- Please wear suitable and sensible walking shoes. The Harbour Trust advises that high heels, thongs and loose sandals are not recommended to wear during tours
- Tours will proceed regardless of weather conditions except in cases of extreme weather. Participants are encouraged to bring a raincoat. Participants will be notified via SMS if the tour is cancelled and a full refund of the ticket price (less booking fees) will be made.
- Visitors are not permitted to bring alcohol onto the island and random bag searches may be conducted on arrival.
- For the safety of all attending the tour, any person who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or other drugs will not be allowed to attend the tour.
- Disruptive behaviour whilst on the tour will not be tolerated. Anyone deemed disruptive will be removed from the tour immediately by security.
- Meet outside the Cockatoo Island Visitor Centre, a two minute walk from the ferry wharf.
- Tickets are non-refundable, transfers can be made up to seven (7) days prior to the tour date. Contact our Box Office email firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders: This tour contains stories and may contain images and/or visuals of deceased people.
Additional content warning: This tour contains content and stories that some participants may find confronting.